Friday, March 24, 2006

Elvis Your Still the Best-actual quote










Alright, I know there's quite a few pics, but we've been very busy over the past two days, and I'm just giving the highlights. We drove pretty much all day yesterday, and stopped off in Cairo (pronounced Kay-ROE; Southerners) and at the Wickliffe Mounds in northern Kentucky. Both places were absolutely fascinating as historical sites. Cairo is the spot where the Ohio and Mississipi converge- Mark Twain wrote about visiting the city in some of his riverboat writings, and the Lewis and Clark expedition wintered there before embarking. Note my pontification stance- and the interested expression on R.Z's face - he says he enjoys my historical explanations.

Wickliffe Mounds also holds historical significance as a pre-historic Native American village site. I'm holding a drop spindle in my hands- a replica of the one in a nearby display case. They used the drop spindle to spin stinging nettle and the bark of cedar trees for weaving. I use mine to attempt to spin wool, but the tool from an ancient prehistorical site felt the same in my hands as the tool in my craft area- a powerful connection to women I've never met.

After arriving in Memphis, we went out to Beale St, home of the Blues, to hear wonderful live music, and eat ribs- the shot of RZ and I in one of the local juke joints.

Memphis has a state park within city limits- an interesting phenomenon for us dedicated urbanites. Whenever I go hiking, I always remember how much I love it, and how I should do it more often. RZ was the primary navigator, as he indicates through the traditional stance. All the wildflowers were in bloom, so it was an amazing hike, although very hilly.

Of course, we did visit the outside of Graceland- we're still debating if we're going to pay money to go inside. "Elvis Your Still the Best" on the sidewalk outside- our American school system at work.

2 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Blogger Linda said...

Oooo, you went to Wickliffe Mounds! I so wanted to go there on my last drive to the area but the rest of my party didn't want to stop there. We did have a FABULOUS meal at a little diner in Wickliffe, KY. I think it cost me all of $5 for a plate of freshly fried chicken, butter beans and collard greens, along with corn bread and a lemonade. The homemade pie was about $1.50 extra. I love those little southern diners!

 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I believe Chicago has a state park within city limits; it was just in the Tribune. It's in the Hegewisch neighborhood, in case you're wondering...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home